Office of Faculty Affairs is Hiring a Provost Fellow for Faculty Affairs
The Office of Faulty Affairs is hiring a Provost Fellow to begin January 2024. This appointment is open for a tenured faculty member with a full-time appointment, with a 0.40 FTE in the Office of Faculty Affairs and the remainder in their academic unit. Eighteen-month appointment (through June 30, 2025).
Overview. The role of Provost Fellows is to provide focused opportunities for tenured faculty to develop administrative and leadership skills. The Fellow will collaborate with units in the Provost’s Office and leaders in KU Lawrence/Edwards units to develop campus-wide initiatives and then implement them through partnerships with academic unit leaders and faculty. The role provides a faculty member with a career development opportunity and allows the faculty member to engage their scholarly expertise and experience to guide institutional change.
Specific duties will be determined based on the faculty member’s area of expertise and fit with campus-wide initiatives related to but not limited to reaffirmation activities for the Higher Learning Commission, Jayhawk Global, faculty development, internationalization, campus climate, and DEIB.
Provost Fellows will be appointed for .40 FTE in the Provost’s Office and will receive an administrative supplement of $10,000 in the summer to allow them to continue their Provost Office activities through the summer.
Provost Fellow for Faculty Affairs
The Faculty Fellow will be working with the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs on policy-related projects and initiatives that intersect with the roles and responsibilities of faculty at KU. With specific outcomes defined by the Vice Provost, this position will work in collaboration with governance; general counsel; the Policy Office; the Audit, Risk and Compliance Office; academic units and their leadership; and other key leaders and stakeholders across campus to develop, review, and provide educational programming on faculty policy. The responsibilities of this role with be guided by the priorities of the Office of Faculty Affairs, with specific duties to include:
Faculty Policy Development
- Engage in collaborative efforts to develop policy that defines and supports the faculty role at KU;
- Represent the Office of Faculty Affairs on task forces and committees focused on policy development initiatives;
Faculty Policy Review
- Support the Vice Provost in the review of policies submitted by units or the Policy Office as part of the university’s review and approval process;
- Design a review process, grounded in best practices, to assist units in the consistent and timely review and approval of policy;
Faculty Policy Education
- Design educational sessions and materials to deliver policy-relevant information, implementation of best practices, and updates for faculty and administrative leaders.
- a record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service;
- tenured KU faculty member;
- demonstrated experience with policy development, implementation, and review;
- demonstrated experience engaging in a team-based environment;
- demonstrated capacity for leadership in a comprehensive university.
- demonstrated experience with membership on committees responsible for developing and enacting policy (e.g., university or unit promotion and tenure, governance, undergraduate and graduate curriculum and policy);
- experience working with units across campus.
Interested faculty should submit a letter of interest along with a current CV to email@example.com by the end of the day on Tuesday, December 5th. The letter should address why the faculty member is interested in the fellow position and how they meet the listed qualifications.